Skip to main content

History Repeats Itself

What has basically brought this post on, is this article in the Mumbai Mirror. This has me really riled up. Why should the cops have to pay for the irresponsibility of politicians. Aren't they human beings too? Why shouldn't they get leave?

And what the hell is Raj Thackeray thinking when he comes out with statements like that? Aren't the migrants working too? At least they're earning an honest living. Why target taxi drivers and innocent vendors and destroy their property? My heart bled for the taxi driver who's taxi was stomped on by the MNS workers and the windshield and doors broken. Do they realise how hard it is for those taxi drivers who have had to pay so much for their taxis and which they have probably taken under loans?

And what is with being Maharashtrians? Isn't it more important for us to be Indians first? Why should it matter which state the corner samosa vendor is from as long as he's from India?

And more importantly, why the ordinary man? Why weren't there protestors banging on Amitabh Bacchan's door or Anil Ambani's or Vijay Mallya? Or anyone of the 'bigshots' for that matter.

And for that matter, how many of us are Mumbaikars by descent, the only ones who have claim to this position are the Kolis. The rest of us are all migrants.

Not one of us can claim Mumbai as our own and yet when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Goa but that I'm a Mumbaikar at heart. But how do I say this now? Knowing that Raj Thackeray and his men claim Mumbai for the Maharashtrians and accuse the rest of us of stealing jobs from them.

How?

But most of all, I am disappointed in Raj Thackeray. When he first created the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, I thought he would be adopting a more virtuos path to success. He himself said that he would strive for a more tolerant society. He said that his blue-saffron-green flag stood for unity among the Hindus, Muslims and Dalits.

I think his stand today is more out of political desperation and impatience than anything else. It has formed from his inability to step out of the shadows of his uncle and brother. And it attempts to gain attention and publicity for the most flimsy of reasons.

It's Mumbai's cosmopolitan spirit that has made it the pride of India and this has only been possible due to the hard work and efforts of millions of people from states all over India.

Raj Thackeray's attempts to revive the 'Mumbai for Mumbaikars' issue has not worked.

And as someone once said, History repeats itself, the first time as tragedy, the second as farce.

Comments

MS CUTE PANTS said…
I can't comment much about Indian politics because there's so little I know about it, BUT reading your post has left me a little shocked. I had no idea the divide was so pronounced and spread out like it is. This is not the Bombay I remember and left. How sad, the more we progress into the new century, the more we look back at the one we left behind, wishing things were unified and simple again.

Thanks for blogrolling me!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gentle Whispers said…
@ ms cute pants: I agree. The Bombay we once knew is no longer the Bombay that exists now. A sad day indeed.

And your welcome :D
Xorkes said…
hey did u watch that raj thack interview wherein he proclaimed himself to be RIGHT out everything that was happening??
i couldnt stop laughing..
Gentle Whispers said…
@ Xorxes : This is what happens when people get desperate for publicity and can't think of anything better to do. A good kick up the ass would cure it in no time at all.
Anonymous said…
hey i completely agree with u....raj thackrey is a loser!i hate him!!!!
nice post! :)

hey can i am adding u in my blogsite as i am really looking forward for ur other posts...hope u dont mind... :)
Gentle Whispers said…
@ Neha: We just need the rest of the MNS to wake up now and realise what a loser he is too.

And yeah sure you can add me. I would be thrilled. Hope to see more of you here.
Anonymous said…
Hey there, I agree completely agree with you...I wonder when will the time come when we have a Maharashrian leader who will decide NOT to repeat history.
Gentle Whispers said…
@ Tasha: Not just a Maharashtrian leader, any leader who decides not to bring in caste, race, religion, region. Now that would be a blessing.

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Avanti

Day before yesterday, on the 8th of November 2008, Avanti Desai would have turned 21. Instead 15 days before her birthday, as she hurried home to celebrate her grandmother's birthday, Avanti met with a train accident at Jogeshwari station. Just like that. Gone from our lives forever. Leaving behind a huge void and the world a lot more gloomier. And when I got the call first thing in the morning, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a cruel sadistic joke, but as the calls kept coming in, I realised it was true. Even at the cemetary,, it still hadn't sunk in that Avanti was no longer here. The worst moment though was watching her disappear into the crematorium, it was horrible and I couldn't believe we were leaving her there, and through the next couple of hours all I could think of was of her going up in smoke while we stood there in the bright sunshine. It seemed incomprehensible at first, to think of Avanti as dead, to talk about her in the past tense, to get

Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal

I watched Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal over the weekend. First day first show in fact and it was fun. A paisa vasool movie if nothing else. Goal absolutely belongs to John Abraham. You cannot take your eyes off him when he's on screen and he does superbly well in a film that doesn't need much histrionics. And his smile. Its just the best. I'm a sucker for nice smiles. The kind where the eyes get all crinkly and his entire face just lights up. Bipasha Basu doesn't have much to do in the film and is incredibly inept at what she does do. She just doesn't come across well. The songs are pretty good. I especially loved Halla Bol. Billo Rani on the other hand is a nonsensical film and would have fitted in better in a movie about UP or Bihar. And how a bunch of footballers who are struggling to pay rent for their club manage to come up with enough money to hire dancers and a vulgar looking singer is beyond me. The movie though doesn't do much for me. The computer animation is

Randomity

I sat here staring at my screen for at least 15 minutes before I could decide what to blog about and as I write this I still have no idea. It's randomness at its best. There are a multitude of thoughts swirling through my head and I'm finding it hart to pinpoint or firmly hold one down. To be precise, what I'm feeling is exactly what Mynie describes in Strings . It's a knotted mess in my head. But I felt that it was time I did a blog post, there have been way too many tags lately and while I love doing tags. It's incredibly cathartic to write a post and get everything off my chest. And while this may seem a mess of a post, there's a lot of stuff that I wanted to talk about but didn't really seem to deserve an entire post to themselves, in terms of content at least. So I'm gonna put them all in here, in what is probably going to turn up to be a hell of a confused post. I'm just going to go with the flow and talk about whatever pops into my head. Cool?