Contrary to my usual basketball obsession, I've been living and breathing football lately thanks to Euro 2008 and its even eclipsed the NBA finals which I have just been following sporadically. And I just had to blog about it.
I'm supporting Portugal, Spain and Italy in that order. And while Portugal and Spain qualified comfortably, Italy just managed to squeak through with a 2-0 win over France.
Italy though are mentally and physically strong and I'm sure they'll manage to raise their game up before the next match. Though they are playing Spain. Whom the hell do I support? Spain or Italy? Spain or Italy?
Though I would love Portugal to win, they're my favourite team in this Euro Cup, I don't think they'll win. I don't think they really have it in them to win. Much as I hate to say it.
While I'm supporting these 3 teams, I haven't yet written off the Dutch who are playing "Joga Bonita" football. They are a joy to watch. Pure poetry and every match of theirs is entirely entertaining. And 3-0, 4-1, 2-0, wipeouts of Italy, France and Romania speak for themselves. They are averaging 3 goals a game and they are right up there with the best.
I'm not entirely happy about this though. I don't mind them qualifying but I don't want them to win, no matter how well they're playing. It's a fallback to the World Cup '06 where they played Portugal in one of the roughest matches I've ever seen with 4 red cards and 16 yellow cards.
Germany I'm not too fond of either and I don't really see them winning. Croatia are playing really well too. But again, I don't think they'll go the distance.
And lastly, just cause I'm a girl and because I will check out hot guys, here's a list of who I think are the hottest guys so far. :-P
1) Markus Rosenberg, Sweden : If football doesn't work out, he already has an alternate career to think of. Just check out the picture and you'll know what I mean.
2) Xabi Alonso, Spain :- How am I supposed to resist such incredible hotness. This guy even makes those horrible collared Liverpool uniforms look good. How could they let him go?
3) Arne Friedrich, Germany :- Besides his bad ass football and wicked, wicked smile. This guy is such a guy next door type. Very hot in an unassuming sorta way. I love that.
4) Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal :- Though I'm in agreement that he is very hot, he annoys me at times with his diving and whining, though he's been better lately and damn, I hate that rat tail. But no list of hot footballers would be complete without him. And his face strikes me as kinda feminine at times, but what the hell, he's still one of the best looking men in football right now. And he has the most incredible physique which he only helps by taking his shirt off. Sighhhh. I think I'll have to go lie down.
5) Iker Casillas, Spain :- The Spanish goalkeeper is hot, hot hot. And I often end up wishing for more goals against the Spanish just so I can ogle at him. Yes, I'm terrible.
6) Adrian Mutu, Romania :- I chanced upon Mutu during Portugal's game against Romania and ever since I just haven't been able to take my eyes off him. I even rued the penalty he missed despite the fact that I was supposedly supporting Portugal. Alas, we won't be seeing much more of him.
7) Michael Ballack, Germany :- I'm very anti-Germany and I somehow never want them to win. I'm not too fond of their players either. Except for a couple and Ballack is one of them. This guy is just sizzling whether he's playing for Chelsea or Germany.
8) Robin Van Persie, Netherlands :- His boyish good lucks would be perfect. A picnic for two, rolling around in the grass. Sigh. I'm day dreaming again.
9) Hélder Postiga, Portugal :- I've had my eye on him ever since World Cup 2006 and I think he's hotter than even Cristiano Ronaldo.
10) Cesc Fàbregas, Spain :- Yum, It's another Spanish hottie. This 21 year old makes watching Spain play even more of a pleasure.
11) Thierry Henry, France :- He's still pretty even though he's getting on in years. And those abs. Too bad France is out. I wanted them to stay just for him. And he has a fine and I mean FINE behind.
12) Fabio Cannavaro, Italy :- Yes, I know that he's out injured. But he's absolutely scrumptious. And I just couldn't sub him on this list. And to prove my point, I leave you with not just one but two pics of him.